Wednesday 26 March 2014

Benedict Cumberbatch - well everyone's talking about him these days!



These days one can barely open a paper, nor log online, nor step in a shop without stumbling over Benedict Cumberbatch, the guy is everywhere.  This is obviously his time.  And very well he’s playing it too, and I speak in some admiration, I think he is a very good actor, so I shall join in the voices of praise and add to them – Third Star.  This is the first film I have ever watched twice in a row, and would watch again tomorrow.  Beautifully acted, funny, moving and a simple tale very well told.  Had I never liked Benedict before I would love him now.  Watch it at least twice and listen to the dialogue, it’s very well written.

Lent then.

Each day I have continued to strive to do my one act of kindness to a stranger, but I think I have had to double up, in that some days I have met no stranger, and other days I have done two kind acts.  And I have reviewed what kindness is, but only so far as to give myself a headache and gave up.  Some kindnesses give to the giver equally to and maybe even more than those that receive I think.  At a talk we went to there was also a prize presentation for a poetry competition that had been run at local schools.  I went to the winner afterwards and congratulated him on his win.  He beamed at me with such pleasure and delight at his win and his congratulations that it was his kindness to me that shone the brighter.  

On a site that gave points for surveys I donated the points to charities, I donated to Smile train, to varying charities.  I gave books to Oxfam, left books on benches for people to discover (books from charity shops, so a double point??)  I spoke to a shopkeeper about her sign saying she may have to go out of business.  I found random people on Just Giving and sent them £1 from Anonymous.  I gave reviews on peoples sites.  I ‘liked’ people’s blogs (that I did like).  I smiled more, asked how people were more.  I cared for three lively dogs and fed 16 chickens.  I enquired about peoples goals at a college.  And it continues.  

Am I fulfilling my Lent promise?  I don’t know.  But I am trying.

Oh I have found a great blog – A girl called Jack.  Great fun, its worth looking up the story behind the girl.  I have copied down many a recipe and I will endeavour to make and bake, although I will inevitably alter each and every recipe…… who knows maybe I will actually get the hang of putting photo’s on blogs and place some tempting dishes upon these pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment