Friday 8 July 2011

Left turn

Why do we notice some junctions more than others, why do we look down some side streets and not others.  Some days I want to take the left turn I never take and just drive and drive, but I dont know if I am driving towards or driving away.  I think maybe away.  And towards a new adventure.  A left turn untaken signals a possible escape route, an exit.  Some days I want freedom from my work, or maybe a worry, or a stress, or a row.

I sometimes look at people who are busy working in exotic places, or someone ordinary running an orphanage they just happened to start up in some african village somewhere and wonder how they got there.  And how come I never did.  Did they take that left turn?

They found the body of a soldier who was missing and I had to think of his parents grief, the tearing of their world.  And maybe today my road is fine just the way it is.  Today I am not in the lane they are in.  

I have laughed today, and been loved, and eaten, and driven home.  I have drunk water, and have clothed myself.  I have talked and shared my love.  I have looked into eyes of friends.  I have watched TV.  I have swallowed chocolate.  This is my journey.  Just today.  And all is well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment